Saturday 5 November 2011

An Evening Watching Monty Roberts


I gave my daughter tickets to a demonstration by horse trainer Monty Roberts for her birthday—and, of course, just “volunteered” to go along as well, having more than a passing interest in horses and animal-human behaviour and interaction.



The venue was the beautiful Hartpury Arena at Hartpury College, Gloucestershire.

I had seen some bits of Monty Roberts’s famous horse training techniques on television, of course, but let me tell you: it is astonishing to see him at work in real life. I was absolutely gob-smacked at his ability to make horses just follow him, without even a halter (and I know how I have struggled to control these four-legged creatures, actually the few times I have ridden, I have been an abject failure).

Monty Roberts however, does it with so much ease that it borders on a miracle. This was a fantastic evening, and I can highly recommend a Monty Roberts demonstration to anyone who has an interest in the psychology of animal-human behaviour. Fantastic, is all I can say. Just Google “Monty Roberts” and get yourself down to one of his demonstrations. You won’t regret it.





No comments: